Monday, October 17, 2005

So a few days ago I saw the movie, American Beauty, starring Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening. I know, I know what you're thinking, that movie was so like 1998 or whatever the year it was when it came out. But I have to say, ignoring the fact that I hadn't seen this oh so popular movie until recently, that this movie was pretty fabulous. Granted it was sad, but I was like holy cow, the little "subtle" motifs throughout the film, like the roses/rose petals, as well as the color red and dim lighting in most of the scenes said that something was amiss in the world of Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey). And yes he did say in the very beginning of the film that he was going to die within a year of the beginning of his tale, but somehow I think every viewer still was drawn in by the fact that he was such a decent guy and he didn't really do anything profusely wrong in his life from what we're told. He seemed like this poor dude who really lived his life the best he could despite his bitchy wife (Annette Bening) and seemingly unforgiving teenage daughter. In addition he had to deal with an extremely nutty neighbor who was a little too obsessed with being part of the army and has this secret desire for men that he hides all too well in this film to everyone that matters except his eventual victim.

Overall I thought the movie was fairly decent—it was the first in a long time that didn’t seem cliché or unbearable to watch. In fact I wanted to keep watching and when I have more time I’d love to analyze it…I saw so many things I’d like to have rewound to look at again. (the creepy neighbor boy and his mother, mentally ill because of her husband's homosexual/homophobic tendencies?) But alas you can’t do these things without savagely annoying the other people you’re watching the movie with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home