Thursday, September 29, 2005

Tracking Media Exposure (the basic stats)

1. I was exposed to an average of about 176 hours of media total.
2. Excluding the very difficult to catch indirect exposures that just sometimes escape our eyes; I experienced 7 different types of media exposure. (Labels, music, computer, internet, TV, newspapers, magazines)
3. 1/3 was indirect; the other 2/3 was direct exposure.
4. Same as above—1/3 passive, 2/3 initiated by myself.
5. I actually had a larger average for my estimate than my actual data collection proved.
6. Definitely ads on television, and labels that said, PowerAde or Coca Cola. That was definitely more obvious that the lyrical messages from music or the television shows, which I think is intentional, so we don’t feel we’re being manipulated.

Avoiding Exposure, aka “Media Fast”

It was not very easy to do this fast of the wonderful world of addictive media because my roommates would turn on their computers and play music, or play computer games that headphones without music just didn’t block out. Especially when one finds that their roommate is playing something that you really wish you were playing. Also at my internship, my boss plays classical music and has a talk radio show that she switches back and forth between while we work.

At the cafeteria I’d see Coca Cola labels and various other big brands that were bright and eye catching. It was very difficult to look away from the vivid colors of the Fanta Orange Soda label on the drink machine as well as many of the signs advertising Sodexho. Then I’d see all the advertisements for upcoming campus events. I just live in a world where it’s almost impossible to avoid media unless you just sit in a dark room for ten hours without moving from that room.

I think it’s really interesting that our world, especially the world on a college campus is extremely dependent on media and all its various forms. I watch my roommates and myself, my friends, my family. What’s the first thing we do when we get up in the morning? Here at school I turn on my computer to check the weather, and then I’ve turned on music, and played a game of solitaire or Neopets. My roommates do the same thing. At home, almost every member of my family turns on the television or gets the newspaper. Classes rely on blackboard, on our p-drives and websites for our information. Newspapers and magazines are still important, but the point if it were taken away we’d be lost. We’re so dependent on what we’ve been exposed to; i.e. because in our generation we’ve always had (or most of us have always had) television, and so it’s like losing a microwave or fridge. We don’t know what to do. We’re conditioned to media, and even if it has an occasionally negative influence on our minds and our development. I’m sure if we didn’t have media like computers and IPods it wouldn’t kill us, but it would surely drive us nuts. We love living in introverted worlds where we play computer games/video games and watch movies. I think it’s just something to think about. What would we do if we didn’t have computer technology? Television? I don’t think we’d be the same. In more ways than one…and on that note, I’ll leave that open for you guys out there to think about…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home