Sunday, October 16, 2005

So for the past two nights, I've experienced a new sort of media that most people my age grew up with, but because my parents either didn't find it necessary, or felt it was too expensive of a hobby, I was not exposed to Nintendo or Playstation, XBox, etc. My first "gaming" experience with controllers, etc., was last night and continued tonight with a full thirty rounds of Super Marios Smashbrothers or something to the effect of that name...I'll be honest I don't know the correct name, but I found it to be quite entertaining, but because all my other gaming experienecs have been on the computer using simple arrow keys and the spacebar and/or mouse to retrieve, shoot or get an object.

The interesting thing about not having ever played nintendo before is that one's reflexes are completely horrible, especially if you've never really used controllers in ANY way before, like even just simple arcade games at Pizza Hut. When you're that deprived from entertainment, you just don't know how to adapt as quickly as those who've grown up with this sort of thing in their homes. I mean, everyone I know who's grown up with Nintendo has almost always had fabulous reflexes and I've even heard about some study about how kids who've played video games when they were younger, have better reflexes when it comes to driving and stuff, it's kinda weird, but I think it would make sense, because you're used to seeing things come at you and almost gain a way of being able to block certain things out or at least push them in a direction where they won’t affect the driver.

It was quite demeaning to realize just how bad I was in comparison to some of my awesome Nintendo veteran friends…I felt completely out of place and out of time with these good friends of mine, even though I know just as much about computers or even more than they do…I somehow felt behind and wanted to be able to jump forward, but alas, that’s why there’s the phrase, “Practice Makes Perfect.” Because if we don’t practice, we won’t have any skills, and that’s clearly what I learned while trying to play the characters of Zelda, Mario and Yisho on Smash Brothers and Mario Party of Five…regardless of all that it was ridiculously fun, but I couldn’t help wishing the competitiveness curdling in my blood would’ve subsided, cause it was absolutely fruitless to concern myself with winning when I had absolutely NO experience whatsoever with Nintendo.

Advice for the sad hearted about being a bad Nintendo gamer…

If you want to be good at these things, as with any skill, you need practice…serious practice, like riding a bike and practicing, and I’m told it’s supposed to happen. And since I successfully learned to ride a bike, I’m giving myself the hope that I’ll be able to be a great gamer someday…

And being the optimistic type, it’s not like me to give up that easily…I’ll be a gamer yet!

So I know it must be sad to anyone reading this who's a play station/Nintendo addict, but some people just can't help what they've grown up with I guess, but I must confess it feels like it will be another time waster to pull me away from the necessary things in my life, as fun as it is. Well, what’s life without a little fun right?

1 Comments:

Blogger Mufaker said...

Great post.

Interesting reading from someone who's never really played Nintendo before, i thought you guys didnt exist heh.

Best of luck becoming a gamer :).

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home