Thursday, December 01, 2005

Over Thanksgiving Break I did watch a lot of television but I was frustrated with the fact that I did not find many Thanksgiving images in the shows and movies I watched. It seemed like a lot of the movies were Christmas ones and they even were announcing New Years celebrations and plans for the end of the year. It surprised me because it just seems so early for that kind of stuff, but apparently people are interested.

The difference might have been, however that my parents got cable for the first time this year and the first time in my life and the channels were different than they have been in the past. So when I was expecting to see Charlie Brown’s Christmas aired on Thanksgiving like it usually is on public television, I didn’t find that to be true this time around. I found they just played classic movies or holiday movies. But there weren’t that many holiday movies that I saw on television.

I have to say I was disappointed in the way of finding Thanksgiving images. The only Thanksgiving idea that I recognized was having turkey, squash and stuffing with my family. But my grandmother even decided to mix the meal up a bit because she has this new thing for Indian cooking. She made curry rice and we didn’t have the regular gravy that we usually have. She made this sauce that I didn’t want to eat at first from the look of it. Not with turkey at least. She had made this white cream sauce that had some sort of red spice in it, either paprika or cumin or some sort of Indian spice that she’d gotten from a shop in Nashua and she’d steamed red peppers and onions and added them to it and it was SOO good. My mouth is watering just thinking about. I guess my point to this is it was a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner, except for this change in gravy and the rice, but it was still delicious.

One thing that I’ve noticed when thinking back on this is that holidays have certainly changed over the years. Traditions aren’t necessarily as strict as they used to be. It’s not just one type of food. I remember how two years ago my grandfather cooked some sort of clam sauce for Fourth of July and I was “appalled” if you will because I was so used to hamburgers and hot dogs on the Fourth of July. It’s what you look forward to. The cold rich summer foods. But it’s definitely an interesting idea. Traditions and values are changing in regards to holidays. Thanksgiving does not seem as commercialized as it used to be. Right after Halloween, stores take out the Christmas stuff: even when it’s October. I noticed that in a visit to Colonial Pharmacy not long after Halloween was over.

I think it’s kind of sad that we are losing this holiday. I think it might not be in existence any longer if it weren’t for the fact that it is a national holiday that everyone gets off. This is a totally hypothetical and rhetorical idea, but what if we got rid of Thanksgiving being a National Holiday? People could still celebrate it, but they wouldn’t get it off sort of like religious holidays like Ramadan and Yom Kippur. Those aren’t national holidays, but they still get celebrated. Would Thanksgiving be more important? Would we be more grateful and long for meaning behind Thanksgiving? Just something to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home